01/01/2018 - 31/12/2018
Ako bolo počas 12-mesačného dobrovoľníckeho pobytu v Solúne?
“Včera som konečne dorazil na rodnú hrudu a je celkom zaujímavé vidieť všetky tie zmeny, ktoré v našom mestečku za ostatný rok nastali. Pozorovať zrekonštruovane budovy, stretávať ľudí plných nečakaných príbehov a porovnávať si s nimi nove pestrofarebne pohľady na svet.
Zjavne mi ten rok dobrovoľníčenia v Solúne prospel. Otvoril som sa novým podnetom, kreatívnym aktivitám, ktoré som nikdy pred tým nemal možnosť zažiť (napríklad tvorbe rádiových podcastov, komiksových workshopov, krátkych filmov, a pod.), a tak sa ti chcem za to všetko v tejto súvislosti poďakovať. Ty si stala na začiatku tohoto veľkého dobrodružstva, a tak som rád, že si prostredníctvom ADEL pomohla vyklíčiť všetkému tomu krásnemu a hodnotnému, čo sa mi za ostatný rok v Solúne podarilo zažiť”
O organizácii kde Filip pôsobil:
United Societies of Balkans (U.S.B.) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Thessaloniki, Greece working in the field of youth mobility, participation and facilitating youth awareness about social issues. It was founded in 2008 by the inception of a group of active young people who wanted to address the social issues which affect the youngsters in the Balkans and Eastern Europe. The vision of the organisation is the promotion of youth mobility, youth involvement and participation, voluntarism and human rights.
U.S.B.’s objectives and values are actualized in the society and the needs of the youngsters by:
- Promoting the values of non formal learning, voluntarism, active citizenship and democracy for the creation of a better future for the European youth;
- Promoting human rights, solidarity and respect for diversity amongst youth and the society;
- Involving minorities and immigrants into youth activities;
- Building healthy cooperation bridges between countries of the area of the Balkans and Eastern Europe with the rest of Europe;
- Using New Media and Citizens’ Journalism methodologies to encourage youth expression, to raise awareness about Human Rights and to promote intercultural dialogue;
- Utilizing arts as a tool for the cultivation and expression of youth;
- Locating and multiplying the special cultural attributes of our societies;
- Breaking down prejudices and stereotypes among the European countries and amongst youth.
The ‘Balkan Hot Spot’ Programme deals with the service of volunteers coming from member-countries of the EVS Programme. This is a project which is already running in the office of our organisation since 2009, having hosted until now more than 150 volunteers.
EVS consisted of those main activities:
1. Web Media: E-radio, E-magazine (“Balkan Beats”) and an Etelevision, with the main contribution of our volunteers. Through the eradio and the e-journal, the volunteers, in cooperation with the youth of the local society and of the other volunteers of our organisation, will have the opportunity to create a space of free expression and communication of young people, always within the context of the subjects, the principles and the goals of the Programme “Erasmus Plus”. More details can be found at www.usbngo.gr, https://www.youtube.com/user/ngoUSB and http://issuu.com/search?q=balkan+beats
2. Personal project: with the support of an experienced mentor, there is a concrete personal development plan, through of which each volunteer is building their personality and creates a life plan. In order for this to be achieved there is the opportunity to develop a project of their interest with the support of the organisation.
Role of the volunteer
The activities in which the volunteer got involved are:
• Organisation and development of an e-radio with emphasis on youth social issues of the Balkans.
• Organisation and development of web-tv.
• Create documentaries emphasised on social issues and cultural activities of Thessaloniki.
• Help with the technicalities needed for the e-radio to be operative.
• Maintenance of the e-radio through the creation of a playlist based on songs from the whole of Balkan countries, which will be broadcasted on daily basis.
• Organise a team of volunteers which will run the live programme of the e-radio.
• Help the local volunteers and participate themselves in the recording of the programmes to be broadcasted in the scheduled hours.
• Organisation, development and maintenance of an e-journal. The volunteer will be assisted by experienced members of the Hosting
• Organisation and will be provided with the necessary technical tools on which they would have been trained on beforehand.
• Find topics covering issues that interest young people and that can lead to a discussion among them through online conversations or articles that will be uploaded in the e-journal.
• Find projects that could promote the activity and disseminate its results.
• Participate in approved programmes, so that they will develop more skills and capacities.
• Participation in special events and meetings organised by the Project: The volunteer might take part in some events that will be organised by the Project on special dates dedicated in EU or Human Rights. These events always have a huge turnout and offer the chance to strongly promote the work done by the Project. The volunteer will play a central role by adding a European dimension to these public events and motivating the local youth to participate. Using their creativity, their knowledge from their country and their visions they can find attractive and effective ways to help with relevant games, presentations, leaflets etc. Moreover the organization in collaboration with the volunteers organize often TANDEM events in the city for local people who want to exchange with the volunteers their knowledge in their native languages.
• Participation in some public events organized by the local authorities, other organizations or festivals such as the International Film Festival of Thessaloniki. During these events the volunteer will have the opportunity to be with the locals, socialise, practice the language, and get a good taste of the “Greek spirit”.